Summary: FLAC is the audio file you may often meet. What is FLAC file? What is the difference between FLAC and MP3? FLAC vs. WAV? FLAC vs. ALAC? Can iTunes play FLAC? All these problems will be discussed in the following Q&A.
1. What is a FLAC file?
FLAC, also named as Free Lossless Audio Codec, is an audio coding format for lossless compression of digital audio file. FLAC's algorithm will reduce to 50% - 60% of original digital audio size and decompress to an identical copy of original audio data. FLAC supports metadata tagging, album cover art, and fast seeking.
2. Since FLAC is lossless audio compressing, so FLAC is better than MP3?
Not exactly. MP3 is the audio format which uses a form lossy data compression, which uses inexact approximations and partial data discarding to reduce file sizes significantly. Commonly MP3 compression achieves 75% - 95% reduction in size. MP3 compression will also apply bitrate. The higher the bitrate, the better the audio quality. So 320kbps MP3 may get you no difference in hearing the music. But actually, FLAC is lossless but the track still has to be recorded and mastered for it to sound good. In theory, a great recording quality in MP3 320kbps can sound better than a poor quality track in FLAC.
3. Apart from MP3, still other audio formats like WAV, AIFF, ALAC are lossless. So what are differences between them?
OK. Let's check FLAC vs. WAV vs. AIFF vs. ALAC from the following tablet:
|Main platform||Royalty-free licensing||Mac, iTunes||Windows, Mac, Linux||Mac, iTunes|
|Compressed or not||Uncompressed||Uncompressed||Uncompressed||Uncompressed|
|File size||40% - 50% of original size||50% of original size||50% of original size||40% - 50% smaller than AIFF|
From this tablet comparison, you may notice that they are lossless audio file, but they differ from file size and platforms. So to say FLAC is better than WAV or ALAC is better than FLAC will be not accurate. You need to consider various elements. For more details between them, you can visit:
4. FLAC is lossless audio format, and iTunes also accept many lossless audio format like AIFF, ALAC, WAV, so iTunes play FLAC?
iTunes supports audio codec from MP3, WAV, AIFF, ALAC and AAC, but it does not play FLAC file.
5. Wow, so how can I import FLAC files into iTunes for playback?
For playing FLAC file on iTunes, you need to convert FLAC file to iTunes compatible formats. Get the steps here to convert FLAC to iTunes compatible audio formats.
6. OK, got it. iTunes cannot play FLAC file, then other players like Windows Media Player, VLC, QuickTime, etc. can play FLAC file?
VLC can play FLAC file, but Windows Media Player and QuickTime Player cannot play FLAC audio file. Actually, iPhone, iPad, iPod, also cannot support FLAC file playing.
7. So FLAC is not compatible with some players. Are there good FLAC players on computer or iPhone?
There are various FLAC players from Google's search result. You can check this post to find FLAC player for Windows/Mac/iOS/Android.
8. Yes, FLAC player is the way to solve the problem of FLAC playing problems. I get some songs in MP3 format. Can I convert MP3 to FLAC for a lossless listening?
Yes, FLAC Converter will help you exactly. Free download this software here.
1. Add the MP3 files to this software.
2. Select "FLAC" from "Profile" drop-down list.
3. Click "Convert" to convert MP3 to FLAC.
For more ideas about FLAC converter, you could refer to FLAC converter here.
. FLAC converter does can solve my problem to get FLAC files. However, I wonder if there are good sites that support free FLAC music download?
There are many sites on Google that support free FLAC music download. Here we only list several sites for your reference:
The above questions and answers about FLAC are from the most heated discussed on Google. For more questions will be welcome to show this page to help more people.